Monday 28 January 2013

Exploring The Country-cide(r)

With the Australia Day long weekend ahead I wondered how I was going to enjoy my little break from university. As I um-ed and ah-ed I received a call from one of my oldest friends, Kate, who lives in sunny Queensland. She was also having trouble deciding what to do with her time off work and, rather than spending it alone, we decided she would catch a plane the very next day and spend the weekend with me in the northern victorian countryside.  

There was no question about what we'd get up to while she was here. With Bendigo putting on its best weather, we had to indulge in a whole lot of cider drinking. To welcome her to the town, we stopped in at Wine Bank on View where we enjoyed delicious local cider in the sun.


   



It was then, while we sipped away on a local offering, that we decided it was crucial we indulge in some cider straight from the source. The very next day we packed our sandwiches and our good selves into the car and made our way to Cider country. Harry was a trooper and played designated driver for the day. First stop on our travels was Henry of Harcourt Cidery.






As some of the ciders were 20% alcohol volume, the small tasting was enough to get us a little rowdy. Henry (the cider maker) didn't mind us trying on his hats.

Next Stop: Harcourt Valley Vineyard to try their freshly brewed ginger beer. It was to die for! Not only is ginger beer the tastiest and most refreshing bevy on a hot sunny day it's also a great remedy for an upset tummy.








When we arrived at Bress (the last Cidery for the day) it was all happening. People travel from all over to visit this place and I can see why. The staff are fun and friendly and the ciders are second to none.  Oh and did I mention the tastings are free?!

 

This is Ollie, one of the locals at Bress.




Meet Sid, I think he liked my shirt. 








3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This makes me want to visit Bendigo!
    How cool are Ollie and Sid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww beautiful pics, you look like you had a fun time :) Also, I adore the cute lacy shorts your friend's wearing!

    Thanks for your kind comment on my blog as well :) :)

    asplashofvanilla.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks emma, it was a great weekend and break from summer semester :)
      She got the shorts from mombasa in brisbane :D

      Delete